Monday, February 21, 2011

Cactus Club, Coquitlam BC Canada

Oh oh, another corporate burger, sorry, this one at the Cactus Club in Coquitlam.
Does anybody know of a decent mom and pop burger joint in Coquitlam?
All I’ve ever had in this neck of the woods are an assortment of corporate burgers and a bad experience at the Gillnetter Pub.


The burger here at the Cactus Club is pretty good, a solid 8/10. It’s fresh, it’s big, it’s juicy, it’s beefy, and it’s good.

My problem is: Corporate/Marketing mumbo Jumbo.
I had: the burger Рaged cheddar cheese, cured bacon, saut̩ed mushrooms, red pepper relish.

Not just any burger ladies and gentlemen, I had “the burger”. And “the burger” is a Rob Fennie “Signature Item”.

Ladies and Gentlemen, “Cactus Club Cafe's culinary vision is led by Canada's only Iron Chef, Rob Feenie. Working alongside Chef Feenie, our talented team of over 20 Red Seal Chefs and over 50 apprentices are passionate about creating, innovating and educating to enhance your every experience. Cactus Club Cafe proudly sponsors the largest number of chef apprentices in Western Canada for the nationally recognized Red Seal Certification program”.


Now, doesn’t that make the $75 (tip included) I just spent on 2 burgers, 1 beer, 1 soda water and a shared appetizer worth every penny?

Furthermore:


My server informed me that the patty was fresh not frozen but not formed in-house rather delivered preformed. I didn’t ask about the fries but I’m pretty sure they came out of a bag and were not cut in-house.
So my personal message to Mr. Iron chef Rob Fennie, is this how you would run your restaurant? Back in the day, I had your burger at the old Feenies and I can tell you quite honestly that it was the best (or at the very least one of the best) burger in the Lower-Mainland. Outstanding, thinking about it still brings a smile to my face. (The addition of braised short ribs and foie gras elevated this burger to Sainthood). Alas a thing of the past Mr Feenie, unless of course you take the plunge again and open your own establishment in which case I’ll be first in line for your burger.
At the Cactus Club I will gladly give up my spot in line to anyone that wants it.

1 comment: